Sunday, March 30, 2008

Kisses....


I have been thinking about kisses today, sweet, lovely, sensual, delicious kisses. The sort of kiss that takes your breath away.

For the most part, we all get our first kiss within the first minutes of our lives. Mothers, exhausted and spent, still glistening with drops of sweat from labor, lovingly kiss us as soon as we are placed in their arms. We are kissed endlessly throughout our childhood. We're kissed when we are frightened or sick, when we are sad or when we are especially sweet. We're kissed, sometimes, when our mother or father is the one frightened or hurt or saddened by something. We are plastered with kisses.

As we mature and become aware of the opposite sex we think quite a lot about kisses. We wonder when our first kiss will arrive and most importantly from whom. Sometimes it's a complete surprise, a halfhearted effort, a near miss, a good intention gone awry. It's often fumbled, full of nerves, tense and tight. Most first kisses are not the sort one finds on a movie screen. Soft strains of violins are rarely playing in the background. Mine was no exception. I was expecting a kiss similar to the one Burt Lancaster planted on Deborah Kerr's lips on that beach in the film From Here to Eternity. Mine came on a cold winter's night walking from a basketball game to a pizza parlor. It was fast, it was cold and I almost missed it. I will also never forget it.

We all have those sort of kisses we won't ever forget from lost loves, past romances. They remain in our memory as soft and as sweet as they were when we tasted them the first time. The passionate kisses we had once still burn on our lips and make us yearn for another and another.

And then there are those kisses that are yet to come. The ones we dream of, the ones we desire. The ones we know will change us. The ones we know will indelibly mark us, will forever mark us with the exquisite touch of a lover we were destined to have. The lover that is The One. The one we dreamed about when we first dreamed of kisses. The one who visits us in our dreams. The one we visit when daydreaming. The one who will kiss us now if we are very, very lucky.

Lucky indeed.

3 comments:

M said...

Your words are lovely, Mrs P. I missed the old iConnect so much because I missed your blogs! You always give me something to ponder (which I love!)

Moonlightnroses said...

I believe my last thought on this earth will be of a kiss - they are that important to me. I can barely wait for the ones to come. They are so tied to my feelings of being a woman. As the kisses I receive now are rare to say the least, I find the kisses I get to be extra special and thus, unforgettable. As always a thought-provoking blog, mrspe

Alex said...

I like kisses. I know who gives the best kisses, but she only shared a couple with me in the 5 years that I knew her.

Still, kisses are only part of the package. There are other things in companionship that outweigh kisses. We just forget the merit of years of continuous love in the thrill of minutes of kiss.