Sunday, October 12, 2008

43 Questions...


Twenty Questions was a one-time popular game in which one player is designated as the "answerer" and this player chooses a subject that the other players attempt to reveal by asking questions. If twenty questions are asked, and the subject remains unrevealed, the "answerer" wins the round. At least that's the twenty questions game I know and have played. One variation is playing the game with the "questioners" asking personal questions of the "answerer" and increasing the degree of difficulty with each round. When the "answerer" gets through twenty questions without balking at an answer they take the round. The game unearths lots of information about the players involved. This game also becomes quite interesting when alcoholic beverages are flowing. I digress.

Last week my daughter sent me a forwarded email called 43 Questions. A list of forty three questions to answer and forward on to friends. Surprisingly this email did not come with the usual disclaimer warning of all manner of doom and pestilence should you not forward the email to at least nine friends. I promptly answered the questions, sent it back to her and also sent it along to a pile of my friends. I am still getting responses back in fact one came in this morning. I caught a giggle or two when I received the email from people I hadn't sent it to initially. It made the rounds, certainly.


While I loved reading all the responses that came back to me, loved learning new things about people I have in some cases known for a very long time, I especially loved reading my daughter's responses. It was somewhat eye opening for me. It wasn't that I learned something new about her, her responses held no real surprise in content. She's my daughter, I know her favorites, her preferences and her likes and dislikes. What surprised me was her tone, her wit and her humor. My daughter is a smart ass! I couldn't be more pleased.

My daughter is a beautiful girl. There really is no other way to put it. She turns heads, a lot of them. When she was a child I worried she might become vain, become too concerned with her appearance, too focused on something she didn't do anything to achieve herself having simply been born that way. Being born pretty is not always a good thing in my opinion. It can limit a person's dimension certainly.

Reading her responses to the 43 questions introduced me to the many delicious layers of her personality. Layers I had not seen before. I was delighted and I laughed out loud at her beautiful sarcasm. I saw so many things in her responses, thoughts and attitudes I did not know she had developed. I saw how her mind works, the turns it is capable of taking. I saw the sheer fun she has in poking fun at herself... a quality I find to be very attractive. A quality I find to be a lifesaver at times. She's witty. She's funny. She has grown into a bright, lovely, young woman and is everything I could have hoped for and more.

#28. Would you be a pirate? Only if I could have a parrot on my shoulder.

Smart ass.
Indeed.

1 comment:

Cathie said...

you own that indeed phrase!