Sunday, November 16, 2008

Move On


MoveOn.org is an organization, a liberal organization, created to bring Americans into the political process through advocacy, political action and civic action. Borne following the Clinton impeachment hearings, it's founders sought to move the country, move Americans, "on". The idea was, for the good of the country, to Censure the President and be done with it. Move on!

We have all heard those words before. Many of us have said them as well and with the best of intentions. Move on.

It's not so easy to move on is it? Sometimes we're involved in a series of events that make us want to do anything but move on. We can't conceive of not being in that particular situation, being with that particular person. Moving on would be anathema to us, out of the question, unfathomable. We seem to want to stay right where we are and who we are with. Despite being told by countless friends, in countless ways, we stay. We remain fixed and immobile. Stuck.

Now the "staying" I refer to is a mindset, a thought process, a mental place. I have a girlfriend who went through a divorce after twenty five years of marriage. She had a terrible time dealing with the end of her marriage and we would spend countless conversations with her asking why this was happening to her and me telling her to move on. I'd say we had the same conversation for about two years. Two years! What I found interesting was the fact that she was the one who left, she was the one to bring an end to the marriage. In a physical sense she did, in fact, move on. Not in her mind however. In those two years of telling her to move on I would get frustrated. I couldn't understand why she was unable to move forward with her life. It was certainly for her own good. She knew this, she would tell me each time we talked...."I know I have to let go but it's just so hard".

It is hard. This experience with her serves as a reminder for me. There are many things in my life I have had to move on from, had to let go of. Some simple, some more complex. Some dispatched with ease like the loss of a favored political candidate or a change in jobs. Others more difficult like the loss of a loved one, one who sometimes remains in your life. Like the loss of friendship, one that has gone sour and irreparable. Of course the loss of friends and relatives to illness, death. For me...and the most difficult of all....the loss of a dream. The loss of something I may have put all of my faith in, hung all of my hopes on. Something I might have been counting on, wishing for. Something I may have set my heart on. Gone.... and with no way to bring it back. How frustrating, how hard to deal with, how difficult to move on.

Yet I have. I have and so will I continue to do.

Move On

Indeed

No comments: