Thursday, January 8, 2009

Bookshelves.....


I was in a Barnes and Noble store when I was on vacation in Florida over Christmas. I took my son so he could sit in the cafe and email a few friends at home he was missing.

While I was waiting for him I thought I might peruse the shelves and see what I might have been missing since my last visit. I wandered to the Relationships section and found some very interesting titles stacked like soldiers in neat rows. Soldiers in the fight to save our relationships from peril.

Here is my own compilation of veritable must reads for those serious about getting their relationship back on track:

1. Eat Chocolate Naked, and 123 Other Ways to Attract Attention and Spark Romance by Cam Johnson.

Interesting. A man is always interested in sparking romance with a partner gorging on chocolate, giving her attention as she packs on the pounds rendering her unpalatable to him in the end.

2. Love Is Letting Go of Fear, Gerald G Jamposky

Hmmm...if you are afraid of him....you shouldn't be loving him now should you? Oh....it's not him you are afraid of....you have a fear of Love? Well...why are you afraid of love? I think those issues should be addressed before you go and love somebody. All your issues may make HIM afraid of YOU.

3.Love In 90 Days... *or Less, Diana Kirschner PhD

An expiration date for Love, how precious.

4 & 5. How Can I Forgive you? Janis Abrams Spring PhD and Self Hypnosis, Chereth Powell & Grey Forde.

Now you know these two simply must be read as a pair. I'm just saying....

6. Men Who Can't Love, Steven Carter & Julia Sabol.

Tell me again why we want these men?

7. It's So Hard To Love You, Bill Klotte MSW., Kate Thompson.

Then why are you even bothering?

8. Too Good To Leave, Too Bad To Stay, Mira Kirshenbaum

A conundrum if there ever was!

9. The collective "Dr" Laura Schlessengers faux works on brainwashing...I mean suggestions (to send a woman back into the time before indoor plumbing) to have a successful union.

I'd ask for a refund. She's qualified to expound about her doctoral dissertation, Effects of Insulin on 3-0-Methyglucose Transport in Isolated Rat Adipocytes, not the marriages of thinking women.


and finally....

10. If Buddha Dated, Charlotte Kose PhD.

What does one say about Buddha dating? I would, however, like to see his profile on Match.com.

I did not chose anything from this stellar array for myself. Instead I wandered to the sale bin and made my choice, Meditations From a Course In Miracles, Inspirational quotes of universal wisdom, from materials by Dr Helen Schucman
If I may.....

I found this pearl in the chapter labeled Meditations on Love and Relationships:

On Love

Love is not learned.
It's meaning lies within itself,
And learning ends when you
have recognized all is not.

Love is not learned,
because there never was a
time when you knew it not
.

Indeed!

3 comments:

Alex said...

Really begs the question, why are you in that area of the bookshop?

People who have a desparate need will find their way into such a department, and there they get raped and pillaged by the pirates of the publishing world.

Some books out there have meaningful content, others are on the bandwagon. Unfortunately you need to be competent in the field to know which is which, and if you are competent in the field you are now past the need for these supports.

Having a kid with Aspergers we know that not everyone fits in the mold, and even from such a small segment of the population no two people are alike. I remember the sleepless nights we had of sleep training and rot like that all from books by charlatans like Ferber (not once did his book say "this only applies to NT kids, do not attempt with autistic spectrum disorders").

Maybe the advent of low cost printing was a bad idea. It took many years for poor content books to hit the shelves, and weeks for poor content websites to get out there.

But I digress, love is a messy thing is you believe the cliches of popular music and TV. The right person is the one whose thread has the same pitch depth and diameter as yours, doesn't matter who is the nut, and who the bolt, nor does length come into it. Could be a square nut or a hex head, could be countersunk or domed, there just needs to be a smooth natural meshing.

Anyone who needs help loving someone should realize that that is the wrong one to love.

Cathie said...

Love the Comments! Crack me up!

Alex said...

Five years of missed opportunities because instead of "moving on" from lost causes I was counseled to "show her you really mean it" or "don't give up". I was sometimes told "plenty more fish in the sea", but only once I had given up the quest.

There is a great line in a Laurie Anderson song on "Strange Angels", it goes "I'd re-write the book of love, and make it funny". I quite agree.

So to there you are. No thanks to Pat Benetar (Love is a battlefield).