Saturday, January 24, 2009

Unrung Bells


When I was a child, my mother would tell me to think before I spoke. She stressed that a person could hurt with words just as much as they could with fists, maybe even more. Bumps and bruises heal, words resonate in our minds for as long as we allow them.

We all have one, one resounding word or phrase someone has spoken to us in anger. Something someone has said that knocked us off our feet, took the wind from our sails, struck a direct hit at our core. I know I do. There are few things that can break my spirit, few things that can shake me, shake me hard. Few things that will make me walk away and close the door behind me, for good. Words spoken in anger, aimed at my heart, will do it every time.

They say you can't unring a bell. What a perfect way to put that particular thought. You can't. Once the words leave your mouth, the bell is struck, the sound travels to its intended target. The words have a potential to pinch, to hurt and to maim, over and over, as they echo on and on.

This week I was sent an interesting quote buy Chris White,

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth.

Immediately I whispered the words to myself, like a prayer, and added them to the signature portion of my personal email. I want to keep these words at the forefront of my thoughts. Oh that I could have had that hand over my mouth at times.

I never again want to wish an unrung bell to silence. Nor do I ever want to watch someone recoil after I have spoken. I want to always pause before I speak lest I hurt someone with my own words. I don't ever want to do that as I know exactly how it feels, how it hurts, how it keeps on hurting. I hear them now, those words spoken in anger, that bell still ringing and feeling the sting from each slow peal.

I wish I never had to hear it again.

Indeed

No comments: