Sunday, September 27, 2009

Getting Out of Your Own Way

Get out of your own way.

If I had a dollar for every time someone has said that to me I'd have a stash of cash worthy of any smart mobster's wife. I digress.

I think the reason certain individuals have had occasion to tell me to get out of my own way is because they seem to think that I am standing in the way of my own success, standing in the way of my own happiness. That I am holding myself back from achieveing the things I want in life. That couldn't be further from the reality that is my life. Couldn't be further from the truth.

One does not necessarily need to run at full throttle toward what it is they want. Sometimes good sense and wisdom cautions a slow step, an almost snail's pace, in order to temper reason and validate the direction one's path might travel. Sometimes standing stock still, directly in ones own path, assures a mistake-proof journey at the end of the day, assures that the path will continue. When one stands still the chance for missteps, the chance to fall off of cliffs, the chance to be derailed decreases exponentially. At least I think so.

Then again...there is something to be said for getting out of your own way. Sometimes you aren't the only person you are holding back. Sometimes there is someone standing with you, someone by your side, someone who walks the journey with you. Sometimes the kindest thing a person can do is get out of their own way and let the other keep going, let the other pass by. Let the other reach their own happiness and contentment.

Sometimes the greatest act of love is a simple sidestep that allows another a clear path, a smooth journey of their very own.

Getting out of the way either clears the path for them to move on, or gives them room to turn back and say, "come with me".

Sometimes you just have to get out of the way.
Indeed

No comments: