Saturday, May 10, 2008

For Mothers.....


Who isn't thinking of mothers this weekend? I have been. I have been thinking of mothers all week. Many mothers, mothers we all know.


I have been thinking of mothers who have a grown child serving in our Military. Mothers brimming with pride but who ache inside until that time they know their child is safely home.

I have been thinking of mothers who have a child who is missing, who has disappeared. Their agony never leaves them, their dread hidden beneath a patina of hope they have no choice but to cling to.

I have been thinking of mothers who have to bear the criticism of their children's public mistakes. That's a heavy cross to bear and few will help shoulder the burden.

I have been thinking of mothers with children who are troubled and in trouble. They often blame themselves unfairly for their child's poor decisions and actions.


I have been thinking of mothers who have children suffering from serious and chronic illness. Mothers who would trade places with that child in a blink of an eye but who must put on a brave face and comfort when they need the comfort themselves.

I have been thinking of mothers who have a child who is estranged from them. A space left unfilled no matter what other children they have to honor them. Until the last is where they belong there is no peace for them.

I have been thinking of mothers who have children who have passed on into the next life. What an empty day they must have amid all of the cards and bouquets they might receive. Bittersweet memories of the past must soothe and still a heart that will always long for them.

I have been thinking of my own mother and every wrong I have done her. For every time I made her worry. Every time I defied her. For every tear I never saw her cry and for every harsh and biting word I am sure she can still hear in her mind....I am sorry. I hope that not only on Mother's Day, but on every day, will she feel the full measure of my love and respect for her. She is my guide, my compass and my past. I love her so.

Happy Mother's Day ...

No comments: