Sunday, May 18, 2008

Take Time



A lovely friend of mine stitched a beautiful cross stitch hoop for me and sent it to me. She told me that when she saw it she thought of me. It had a beach theme, a starfish, shells and some ocean water. What caught my eye were the two words it contained...Take Time. I understand completely why she thought of me.

I love things that remind me of the beach. All of my friends know that the beach is a most favorite place for me. That's not why she thought of me....she thought of me because of those two simple words......Take Time.

We all get so wrapped up in life that I think we forget how valuable time really is. Some of us have a different perspective because we know how precious time is. When you have to think about not having any time left...it makes you wake up. It makes you look at time in a different way.

I know I appreciate the time I have ahead...no matter how much there may be. I learned to value each and every minute, savor it and milk it for all it's worth. I learned to use my time to be good to myself, kind to myself, love myself. It's my time...I own it and I will use every last second of it in exactly the way I chose.

It took a lot to get me to this place....this place where I take time for me, take time for myself. I spent a lot of time in giving, in making sure others had their time...often at my own expense. I realize now that it's me that has to take the time to be myself, revel in myself before I truly can give to another. I have to take time for me before I can give my fullest, my best.

My sweet friend reminded me of this with her cross stitch. I have it on my desk at work with some shells, blown glass fish and rocks arranged around it. It will serve as a sweet and gentle reminder to me to never stop taking time for myself. To never let my time be wasted. To love myself first so that I can love someone else with my whole heart.

Indeed.

1 comment:

dws said...

that is lovely. Its hard to learn to take time for yourself. Thank you for helping me learn that lesson