Saturday, June 14, 2008

Links In A Chain...


My husband shares his father's name. In fact most of the males on his side of the family name their firstborn males after themselves. Both of my father's brothers gave their firstborn males their names as well. It's a tradition for some, a legacy. I suppose it's a sort of primogeniture, a passing down, the bloodline continued, an honor.

The feminist in me always bristled at this...what of the daughters I wondered? Were they not part of that bloodline? I couldn't help myself.

Of course they are....and I knew that. I didn't need a father's name to carry tradition forth. I didn't need the designation of Jr or II or even the III to feel part of a line of succession that is my family. Nor do my sons need their father's name to carry forth his line. By virtue of our births we are all links in a chain that spans from generation to generation.

I am my father's link, his succession, his legacy. So much of what he imparted to me growing up stayed with me, served me well in this life. My Dad is a merry, mirthful Irishman. Full of wit and charm and a delight to be around but he sent me out into the world armed and ready for what might come. His lessons to me were straight and easy to understand. To this day I can hear him tell me to not give my trust away....to make a person earn it. To be sure a man is worthy of my love before I give it. To stand tall as I walk this earth. To never forget where I came from. His words to me made the links in our chain strong. As strong as the links that were his chain before him.

And so the chain continues, the links are now my children and his lessons to me have become mine to them. So on this Father's Day I can think of no better way to honor him than to thank him for making our chain strong, to make sure that my links hold, to make sure we continue the chain we are a part of. Make sure my children know where they come from, make sure they know they are all links in this wonderful chain, the chain that is our family.

I never needed a "Jr" to follow my name to be my father's daughter.

Indeed.
(Happy Father's Day Dad!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this one.. I am glad that you were able to use some inspiration that I have shared with you..

~smiling~