Saturday, June 21, 2008

Use Your Words


When my children were young and would get angry or frustrated and they would fuss and push, stamp their feet or cry, I would always say to them...use your words! Use your words indeed. I wanted them to put into words what they were feeling and not bottle it up and hold it inside. I wanted them to be able to express themselves....from the heart. Express deep feeling, hurt and frustration and equally joy, pleasure and love. Use your words.

Many people neglect to use their words. So many gifted and verbose people fail to use their words in a personal sense. What a shame that is, what a loss, it's a stinginess, a withholding. Words are meant to be spoken, meant to be shared, meant to be given and enjoyed. I am uncomfortable around people who won't share their words with me. I get a sense of unease, of separation. I do not like it.

No one who knows me would ever accuse me of not using my words. I use them to their fullest each and every day. I love to express my thoughts, feelings and wishes through my words. I love to share them. They are little pieces of me and I am not the least bit stingy with them. I want what's inside me to be expressed, to be known. I am willing to give that part of myself. I want you to know what I think, what I feel. I want you to have my words.

I have found that sometimes one single word can mean all the difference to someone. The simple giving of that one word can potentially turn around a situation, make things right, make things better. One word someone might be waiting for can change everything. One word, offered in peace, solemnity, passion or kindness can exact a tremendous change...open a door to a myriad of possibilities. One word.

Why hold on to them? They are of no value locked inside, held back and squandered. Words are intended to be let go of, feelings shared, thoughts voiced. There is a reason we are told when we are young that one can't take back their words. We aren't supposed to take them back. Words are meant to be spoken.

Indeed

1 comment:

Alex said...

Sometimes words don't have to be spoken. There will be times when you are in a situation, and a friend cannot verbally give you support, but by a gesture, a smile or a grin, a frown even, they can say everything they need.

As for kids. I wish they would articulate. Even if they are afraid of their suggestion being rejected. We are very much in that stage of parenting right now.

As for in grown up life? I am not sure if I need to say more, or less. I'd just rather say it to their face, there and then. If I don't say what it is immediately I forget it as the day moves on. If I don't say it to their face I can't see the non-verbal information that conversations use to carry the nuances. On the phone you can't see the quizzical look that accompanies the "I see" when they obviously don't.