Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Sweet, Summer Soundtracks.....


I was at the beach this past week. I spent a part of each day, in a swimsuit, soaking up the glorious summer sun and swimming in the Gulf of Mexico. My tan is rich and deep, my mood energized, my soul fed, nourished and filled with sustenance. I live for that trip to the beach...I love it so. So many memories flood in.

While I lay on the sand, I thought about so many trips to the beach when I was younger. Trips to Wildwood Crest, NJ, Seaside Heights, Brigantine, Ocean City. Trips farther south to Ocean City Maryland and my favorite Myrtle Beach, SC. Wonderful summer sojourns, carefree summers, sun streaked hair. Heaven on earth for me.

As I lay back, I listened to the gulls and the surf. Unlike past summers of long ago there wasn't any music. Everyone had an iPod or mp3 player, private music, personal selections. I remember a Transistor Radio as a "must have" along with a bottle of Coppertone, a bright bikini, matching flip flops and Ray Bans. The radios tuned in to Top 40 hits on whatever channel we could tune it to. We'd lay back and listen to that summer's soundtrack. So much of my summer memory is tied to this music. Once back from The Shore, we'd listen to the same music at the local swimming pool, the hamburger stand, pizza parlor or ice cream stand. Those summers really did feel endless. Our worries were minor, our pressures as simple as our pleasures. We lived to hang out, date, go for rides around the lake, slow dance with older boys who wore weejuns and smelled of English Leather. We were happy, free spirited, fun loving. We traveled in packs, enjoyed to be part of a crowd that would pair off around sunset. We had a blast.

For as many things that might change for me, for as many things that might end....these summer memories will never fade. They are right at my fingertips, ready to be called up, conjured for a bout of reminiscing. I did so this past week.....many, many times. I listened to that eternal summer soundtrack in my head. I heard the music, the water, every delightful beach sound took me back. I conjured my young man, wearing madras shorts, crisp shirt, holding my hand for a walk on an evening beach. Stopping in a quiet spot to sit, I am nestled between his propped knees leaning back into his chest. He's pushed my hair to one side, leans in and rests his jaw on my collarbone. This feels intoxicating, cool air brushing along skin warmed all day under a hot sun. Quiet talking punctuated with the feel of masculine fingers slowly running back and forth on my forearm. He catches a waft of scent as he plants a soft, sweet kiss that catches me by surprise when I turn my head to say something.

Such nights should last forever but as all good things do...they come to an end. Tucked away in memories brought to life by the scent of sun tan lotions, sounds of rolling surf and music...the summer soundtrack. Wistful, lovely thoughts uncovered again for a sweet reliving.

Such nights should last forever....even now if only in our dreams....
Even better if dreams should come true....

Indeed.

No comments: