Saturday, August 30, 2008

Full of Grace....


Each year the date August 26 commemorates the passage of the 19th amendment, ratified by the states in 1920, giving women in the United States the right to vote. 144 years after the men in the newly formed union were given the right.

I got to thinking about strong women. How strong women had to be to have to wait 144 years to have her voice heard. Waiting in silence.

I have always thought that a strong woman, a truly strong woman was not particularly loud. You know the type, noisy, brash, outspoken. A woman who intimidates like a force of nature. An angry woman of sorts, full of all manner of histrionics, albeit a passionate one certainly. Not at all strong to me, the outburst showing a fear, a weakness. The noise a cover for insecurity. To me a strong woman's steely silence was absolute, impregnable, indestructible.

I have always found strong, silent women to be the ones I wanted to emulate. When I was a young and impressionable 14 year old I watched the Watergate hearings on TV and was mesmerized by Maureen Dean, wife of Nixon White House Counsel John Dean. She sat a few rows behind her husband, a vision of calm collectability as her husband was roasted on a spit before the House Judiciary Committee. Later I marveled at Pat Nixon's composure and grace as she walked with her husband as they left the White House cloaked in disgrace. She was silent and remained so despite what vile and cruel things she endured on account of her husband. She was strong and I wanted to be just like her.

Through the years I have admired a number of women, the strong silent ones. Thinking of them as mentors I worked at perfecting my own quiet dignity. Handling adversity with grace and dignity, to me, is the true test of a woman's mettle.

You see, to me, it isn't about being the loudest, having the last word. It isn't about beating down your adversary in front of everyone. It isn't about writing a tell all book and airing all of your dirty laundry to vindicate yourself. It isn't about striking out, striking back. It's about composure and silent conviction. It's about showing grace under fire, calmness when all that surrounds you is chaotic. Standing still, silently defeating what rises against you. Gracefully diffusng the adversity.

It's been said people suffer in silence. I think some of them find their strength there.

Indeed

No comments: