Saturday, August 2, 2008

A Little Rain


Into every one's life a little rain must fall. That's what I was thinking this morning when I woke. It was a slow roll of thunder that woke me. I lay in bed , near an open window, listening to this thunder build and come closer and closer. Shortly afterward came the rain. A nice steady, slow summer rain.

Into every one's life a little rain must fall. I lay there thinking about the rain that fell on mine this week. Amidst the raindrops falling outside my window I thought about the ones that fell inside, inside of me. We all have weeks like this, I am no exception. Despite my usual 100 watt smile and happy demeanor, a little rain falls on me from time to time. Sometimes this surprises people.

I worked with a woman who once said to me, "I can't imagine anything ever goes wrong for you" I laughed and asked why? She said, "Because you're always so happy". She said it not with any kind of admiration, but a sort of accusation. You're always so happy. I almost felt I needed to apologize.

I am an incredibly happy person and mostly it's self generated. I choose to be happy, choose to not get mired down in the muck of bad feeling and unhappiness that life drops on us each day. That doesn't mean I am never feeling badly or unhappy. I means I don't let it get to me, bring me down. I rise above it, I let go of it and I smile. I always smile.

This week was an exception. I was not at all sad or unhappy....just a little bit blue. I felt something missing, felt an emptiness. You know this feeling.....I didn't know where to put myself. I was at odds, off center. I was not myself. Something just wasn't right.

It didn't intrude on my day to day comings and goings, It didn't keep me awake at night or distract me from my work. It did not stop me from enjoying a single thing...but it was there if I paused and let my mind wander. It was sitting there ... right at the edge of my consciousness.

If my friend from work saw me I'd have said to her "See? Into every one's life a little rain must fall". I would have then opened up an umbrella and went about the day smiling. Smiling because when the rain stops, and it always stops, the sun returns and shines down on the world. Making everything right once again.

Making it right once again.

Indeed

1 comment:

Alex said...

Interesting, where I am a lot of problems would be solved by rain. It has rained once since May, and then only a light drizzle, more misting than anything. Every day the sun beats down, heating things up and drying them too.

Of course metaphorical rain happens to us all, and metaphoric sunshine fixes all.