Saturday, December 20, 2008

You live a life worth living... and you love with all your heart.




My daughter is at the jumping off point, the brink of permanence, in a relationship with a wonderful young man. I couldn't be happier for her.

I look at her and see what lies before her, if she is willing to reach for it. I see what lies before her if she allows herself to be reached for. What I see is her life, the way a life ought to be. The way a life ought to be lived.

You have to know how special I think the connection between a man and woman is, the connection between a man and woman in love. We are meant to be part of a pair, a couple. We are meant to have partners. We are meant to, along with another person, live life in such a way that we discover every last thing about ourselves in the process...but can only do so with that other person as part of our journey. Not just any person, but the one you are meant for, the one who matches you. The one who was literally made for you. The one you love and the one who loves you.

A person can know themselves inside and out, know their own feelings right down to the last letter. Still, there is always a part of us, a part left undiscovered, until which time we meet the person who was meant to help find it, help us uncover those things we never could have found by ourselves.

So it is my wish, my desire, for my daughter to have this partner in her life. Have this person who is not there to complete her or change her. She's a fabulously complete young woman in her own right. My wish is that she have the partner who will add to her life, add his voice to hers in order to make a new song between them. Have that partner to help her uncover all that is inside her. Make a new life blending all they have as individuals, taking all they are made of, and all that they find in each other, and together making a life.
You see ... you live a life worth living....and you love with all your heart. There is no other way to live, truly live. No other way to love.

Indeed.

2 comments:

Cathie said...

very good post and observation about couples. I think I found the person that I was meant to have. He is Fantastic, indeed.

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful. I can only hope that someday I am able to find that kind of special someone.