Saturday, June 27, 2009

Straw Bags and Library Books


This morning I picked my mother up as we had appointments to get our dogs groomed. I smiled and shook my head when I saw my mother. She is a very young 70 years old, dressed in a pair of jeans, lime green T shirt, chambray blouse, unbuttoned and huarache sandals. Slung over her arm a gorgeous barrel shaped straw bag that she wore when I was a young girl, one I have been trying to get her to give me for as long as I was carrying a purse.

Having left the two dogs in capable hands I drove us "to town" otherwise known as the downtown area of where I live. There is a lovely department store, a throwback, that I like to visit on occasion. I didn't tell my mother what I had planned and I thought I would surprise her. I thought my mother would enjoy having lunch there and perhaps do a little shopping.

When I was a little girl my mother would take me to town on Saturday mornings. She would put on a pretty dress and heels, dress me similarly but with Mary Janes, and off we would go. We would stop at all of the department stores and specialty shoppes, restaurants and other places that dotted Main Street and the Square at that time. She would buy her stockings at Lady Oris, pairs in individual flat boxes and nestled in tissue paper.

We would go to the Square Record Shop to purchase a 45 rpm record for me, one she approved of, and if I was lucky it would be one by the Beatles on the Apple label. A stop at Woolworth's would produce thread or buttons or whatever odds and ends she needed and then we would pick a restaurant for lunch.

My favorite was The Overbrook Tea Shoppe because they had delicious hot chocolate that they served in a porcelain teapot and I liked the blue patterned dishes they used. My mother liked The Spa for their club sandwiches. Sometimes we ate at the lunch counter at Woolworth's and sometimes in the restaurant in the department store I planned to take her to today.

We already had done some shopping, a pair of shoes for her and two sun dresses for me. We rode the escalator down to the lower level and she saw the restaurant. She smiled when I asked if she wanted a little lunch. We settled in, placed our order and sipped coffee while we talked. I looked at my mother across the table and tried to remember her as she sat there nearly 40 years ago and compare that woman to the one seated across from me today.

My mother is a tough cookie, she ran a tight ship at home. She expected a lot from me, held me to a high standard, demanded my best. I spent the better part of my lifetime trying to please her, to make her proud of me. I was never quite certain I had succeeded. We butted heads a lot. We did not always agree on my direction, my choices, my attitude. There were times that I don't think we could have gotten any further apart emotionally. We are both very stubborn and very private women.

She's mellowed however, softened her stance, let up on letting me know I am capable of more. She eased up on the pushing and prodding. Two summers ago we went through a family crisis that I think made her realize that it didn't matter what any of us were doing, it was enough to just be here with each other. It was a revelation of sorts I think and a relief ...for both of us.

So today, after lunch, we walked past the town library. Tents were set up on the lawn and the annual fundraising book sale in full swing. We picked up our boxes to hold the books we found and walked past table after table making selections. In my box I had a novel about Sally Hemmings, a memoir by Lillian Hellman, Marcia Clark's The People v Simpson and Jimmy Carter's retrospective, Palestine Peace Not Apartheid. My mother looked into my box as we were walking and she fished a book out of her box and plunked it in mine. It was The Bridges of Madison County. She simply said....."you need something romantic in there....now go find something fun".

Still pushing, just a bit, but relaxed. So different than she was once. Now If only she'd part with that straw bag.

Indeed

1 comment:

Alex said...

So different, how mothers can be. Mine was very encouraging, and supportive. I was brought up in a very different world to her, a world of possibility and hope.

There was a new emancipation, college being not only for middle classes and males (okay, so I'm a guy, but still, my sister went the same path as me). Is it because we had chances she never had that she showed us the sky and let us spread our wings? I know she almost got to grammar school at the 11+ exams, I wonder how things would have differed if she did get there? If she had stayed on at school until she was 16, 18 or even on to university? Would she have pulled me to her level, or would she still have said we'd be what we'd be.

I don't know. It's nice how you still have the same department store and same home town. My home town is no more. Sure Chester still is, with the same streets and same old buildings. But the city is always evolving and changing. Woolworths moved out quite early, in the late 80's, the local department store relocated, the Co-op changed. There are a few core business which are still there, but they are not the ones which mean anything, other than one green grocer, one toy shop and one sweet stall in the market. Even the pubs change every few years. I moved countries, my parents moved counties. Home is no more.

Hmm, rambling on.