Sunday, August 9, 2009

Love Lost and Pink Elephants


Sadly I bore witness to tragedy this week. Real tragedy, real human loss and irreparable heartache. Two perfectly matched, perfectly suited people were separated, for all time, by the untimely death of one, leaving the other to drift along with nothing but nothing at all now.

Love was lost. A great love between these two people, a part of perfection we all wish would touch us.

Those who knew them feel cheated, feel robbed, feel angry. We all got to go along for the ride and see up close and personal just what real passionate love is. We sailed along vicariously, we applauded their vigor and wished on lucky stars that we would someday have what they did.

And now a great big pink elephant has plopped itself down near me and has been staring quite intently in my direction. I know I need to acknowledge it and talk about what it so persistently seems bent on pushing me toward. I know I need to address, and put a voice to, a more subtle tragedy that I pretend isn't there. A tragedy in the making if I allow it to be. Ever since the dreaded news reached my ears I felt the cold grip of fear grasp firmly, attaching itself to me, and I have no way to shake it. No way to shake it unless look at it squarely and say out loud just what it is that I am so afraid of. Only my words, only my honest admission will send that pink elephant packing and release me from that gripping fear. Release me from the fear that tightens my throat and chokes the words that I really need to say.

Words I need to say.
Indeed

3 comments:

nhgal said...

Once again, you've brought me to tears.....

Starla Rae said...

I am sorry for the loss. Great love is amazing when witnessed and tragic when lost. We all have our own pink elephants.. except I think mine is more lavender than pink.

Mrs P said...

Thank you Starla, I appreciate your comment.

Pink, lavender ... they are difficult to ignore aren't they?