Sunday, August 16, 2009

Meatloaf and Maggie


My Dad is in the hospital. Again.

I can't even count the number of times he's been hospitalized in the last year. So many things seem to be going wrong inside him and it feels like the doctors are now just putting out fires as they start up.

It's difficult for me to watch his decline. My Dad was always a big, ruddy Irish man. Tall, athletic, funny and larger than life to me. Black hair, blue eyes and a wit as sharp as a razor yet joyful at the same time.

My Dad is known to a fair amount of folks around here. He was a coach, he dabbled in politics and was active in several social organizations. So much of that has changed. These last years he's been famous for having such a keen interest in his grandson's sporting endeavors. My boys grew up with him the way I did, watching college football on Saturday afternoons and the big leagues on Sundays. When ABC's Wide World of Sports came on we both half sang/half hummed the opening theme during which Jim McKay recites the famous line...The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. Punctuating the agony of defeat was footage of an Olympic ski jumper who falls and careens off the end of the jump, invariably causing my Dad to mutter, the poor bastard.

That's my Dad. Irreverent at times, silly, smart and sensible. Watching him change has been painful. Waiting for him to return even more so. It's been a long wait for me to be sure.


I called his room at the hospital last night.. He was asking if Maggie his Pug put on any weight since he's been there. Mind you he's only been admitted two days. He said, "You know your mother will stuff her until she chokes the poor girl". As if he never gave her any extra treats. To change the subject I asked about his dinner to which he replied with a note of blandness, "It was meatloaf". Then I asked him if it was good. His reply... "Oh yes and it barked at me".

That's my Dad. I know he's trying to return.


Trying

Indeed

2 comments:

Alex said...

I don't know who is more of a worry at times, parents or kids. I remember seeing my grandparents go through a lot of stuff, and I've started seeing my parents go through more serious illnesses.

My mum is in for an operation tomorrow, which will leave her recovering for 8 weeks. The things I see is her strength, determination and, most of all, her dogged joie de vivre. Her will leaves me with more hope than all the doctors confidence.

So I think I know very well what you are seeing and saying. My thoughts are with you at this time.

nhgal said...

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you, daddy and the whole family.

It is indeed hard watching someone you love, especially a parent, go through all this.

Thoughts and prayers.