Sunday, August 2, 2009

Somewhere In The Stratosphere


My son left a CD in my car, one by Shinedown. It's a favorite of his and we have been listening to it while I drive him where he needs to go. One song on the CD in particular catches my ear. It's called Second Chances.

I like the melody and the sentiment of course but one verse has always stood out for me...

"I just saw Haley's Comet, she waved
Said, "Why are you always running in place?
"Even the man in the moon disappeared
Somewhere in the stratosphere"

Somewhere in the stratosphere.

In my life I have had this habit of looking upward, up to the sky, whenever I felt a need to address my Higher Power. I was taught that heaven was up there so naturally that's where I directed my attentions. If I was headed for trouble or upset about something I would look up and ask for help. If I needed help getting out of a jam I was sure to look up and whisper, "Please...I promise I won't ever do this again". Certainly during the very dark times I have been through I have cast my gaze above to humbly ask, "Why is this happening?".

As I grew and matured I started to look upward for many more reasons. When something good happened to me I would look up and whisper a quick thank you. As time went on the smallest of occurrences had me sending all sorts of comments upward. I realize now that those small things that work out, those lucky breaks we get, might also be worthy of a thank you. You know those little breaks like an empty parking spot right in front of a building when we are late for an appointment, rain that suddenly stops right before we leave the house for an outing and starts just as suddenly the minute we get into our garage or the dress we can't really afford and we discover is on sale when we get to the store register. Little things that make me look upward, happily and thankfully.

Lately it's been people that have me offering up my thoughts. Friends who have appeared when I needed them most, kindnesses and gestures that touch me, giving souls who fill me with what I need. I never miss a chance to send up a thought even when I am flat on my back and ready for sleep. In fact I do this every single night....I send my thoughts up somewhere in the stratosphere.

Over the years I have sent up lots of honest thoughts and careful prayers. I have sent desparate pleas and loving thanks. I wonder where they really go, these thoughts of mine? I send them off, into the sky and trust that they reach their destination. I trust that not only my requests are met with understanding but my appreciation arrives with the intended sincerity.

Each thought, each request, each wholehearted thank you, that started in a tender young girl's heart and is now sent from a very grown up woman's, they're all up there, every single one. I hope it wasn't for naught, wasn't wasted breath, wasn't an exercise in futility.

I hope there really is something up there.
Somewhere in the stratosphere.

Indeed.

3 comments:

Alex said...

Let my jump in here with both agnostic feet.

I thank the "good commute fairies" for keeping me out of most bad jams. I'm not sure if there is a devine being, but I operate with principles which embrace, though not explicitly, concepts like karma. What goes around, comes around.

When things go right I feel a sense of relief. Western culture has phrases like "praise be", or "thank providence". These conventional idioms flow from my lips in a whisper. If there is a universal power, thank you for making things good.

I find the good commute fairies work on principle like, those who leave space shall find space whereas those who make squeaky small gaps find squeaky small gaps. Definite Karma effect her.

I find around town doors get held for me because I hold doors for others. Someone who sees your good rewards your good. Whether it's a guiding spirit that makes goodness be rewarded by goodness, and badness punished by wealth I do not know.

Still I find all religions, or most, teach you to be good to one another, and you will do okay. It's a good guide for this world, no matter what label you apply to it, nor what afterlife you expect.

As for in the stratosphere? No, much closer. Take a walk in the woods and look at the wealth of detail, the wealth of beauty. That should tell you there is a divine being, and they live right here with us.

(and now I have to play with the kids)

Mrs P said...

Alex!

I don't believe anyone has ever written a blog in response to one of mine!

"Take a walk in the woods and look at the wealth of detail, the wealth of beauty. That should tell you there is a divine being, and they live right here with us."

Well said, indeed!
(smiling)

Alex said...

Firstly, wow, I left a lot of typos in my first response.

Secondly, glad you liked it.

Does that really count as a blog, or just a long reply? A personal web page is an open diary. A blog is an open letter which implicitly requests a response. You and I have discussed how proper letters seem to be a thing of the past, everything now being brief and interactive. Seldom anymore does one compose a letter, sit on it for an evening and revise it before putting it in the morning mail. You take time composing your blog entries, and they merit considered replies.